China is the oldest civilization on Earth, which means they have had a lot of time to produce some of the most influential thinkers the world has ever known.
Most of the following philosophers lived during the Warring States and 100 schools of thought periods. Confucius and Lao Tzu, the two most influential, were contemporaries, and at one point Confucius actually travelled to meet Lao Tzu, since he was known far and wide as the wisest man in China.
While there is much more to Chinese historical philosophy, the following are 13 of my personal favorites quotes from the ancients masters.
1. “If three of us travel together, I shall find two teachers.”
2. “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength,
while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
3. “He or she who knows that enough is enough
will always have enough.”
4. “By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
and third by experience, which is the bitterest.”
5. "Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart."
6. “Truth uttered before its time is always dangerous.”
7. "To know what you know, and what you do not know.
That is true knowledge."
8. If you are depressed, you are living in the past.
If you are anxious, you are living in the future.
If you are at peace, you living in the present.
9. We cling to our own point of view as though everything depended on it,
yet our opinions have no permanence.
Like autumn and winter, they gradually fade away
10. “Only when man will not do some things, will he do great things.”
11. "If you know your enemy, and you know yourself,
the results of 100 battles you should not fear.”
- Sun Tzu
We here at Kaiya love producing content like this. We don't accept ads on our website because we believe it creates a bad user experience. If you enjoy reading content like this, please consider visiting our store to help us keep the lights on. View our collectionshere.
Founder of this website; currently living vicariously through himself.